Ph.D. English (Media, Cinema, and Digital Studies emphasis), expected 2014
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (Milwaukee, WI)
- Dissertation: "USED: Writing Technologies and the Unfriendly Interface"
- Committee: Anne Wysocki (chair), Stuart Moulthrop, Richard Grusin
M.A. Humanities (Literary Studies emphasis), May 2010
- University of Texas at Dallas (Richardson, TX)
- Master's portfolio essays: "Significant Intervals between Print and Video Poetry" and "DoubleClick Meets Dickinson: Remediating Poetry" (Abstracts here)
- Committee: Susan Briante (chair), David Parry, Shari Goldberg
Certificate in intermediate French, August 2007
- École des Roches (Paris, France)
M.F.A. Creative Writing (Poetry emphasis), August 2007
- University of Nevada, Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV)
- Master's thesis: "Scenic America: This Is a Test" (poetry collection)
- Advisor: Claudia Keelan
B.A. English (Poetry emphasis) and Studio Art, May 2004
- Randolph-Macon Woman's College (Lynchburg, VA)
- Magna Cum Laude
- "Significant Intervals Between Print and Video Poetry." Textual Overtures 1 (2013): 15-37. Web.
- Review of Does Writing Have a Future? by Vilém Flusser. Trans. Nancy Ann Roth. Media International Australia 142 (2012): 181-182. Print.
- "The Problem with WHOIS: Hidden Assumptions about Identity and Social Networking." Spectator 30.2 (2010): 57-64. Print.
- "Elegy after the Fact," Soujourn (2009)
- "Interior of Suzy Frankfurt's Apartment," "Clouds on Screen at a Drive-in, N.J. 1960," Interim (2008)
- "In the Distance Now Forming," "Asylum," "After the Storm," "We Began to Shout at Each Other After We Fell Down the Stairs," Scéal (Spring 2006)
Presentations, Posters, and Workshops
- "Reasserting Thing-Power: Touch Screens and Antimaterialism." Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC). Indianapolis, IN. March 2014.
- "The Liminal Textuality of Comments in Software Code." Modern Language Association Convention. Chicago, IL. January 2014.
- "When the Internet Starts to Be Boring: Alt-Lit Poetics." Midwest Modern Language Association (M/MLA) Conference. Milwaukee, WI. November 2013.
- "Reasserting Thing-Power: Roughness as a Response to Antimaterialism." University of Kansas Digital Humanities Forum: Return to the Material. Lawrence, KS. September 2013. Video
- "The Liminal Textuality of Comments in Code." The Objects of Textual Scholarship, Society for Textual Scholarship (STS) Conference. Chicago, IL. March 2013.
- "'give us an UNDO button': Facebook Timelines and the Passionate Error." Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC). Las Vegas, NV. March 2013.
- "Analyzing Comics with Comics: First-Year Writers Meet Bitstrips." NC State, Computers and Writing Conference. Raleigh, NC. May 2012.
- "Between WordPress and a Hard Place." Conference on College Composition and Communication (CCCC). St. Louis. March 2012.
- "Authority Figures" (digital poster). University of Michigan, Computers and Writing Conference. Ann Arbor, MI. May 2011.
- "Networked Publics, Networked Texts: Digital Argumentation" (digital poster). Marquette/UWM First-Year Composition Conference. Milwaukee, WI. December 2010.
- "Where's the Real Threat? Biometrics and the Digital (Human)ities." Midwest Modern Language Association (M/MLA) Conference. Chicago, Illinois. November 2010.
- "Twitter for Academics" (collaborator on Part I of full-day workshop). Purdue University, Computers and Writing Conference. West Lafayette, IN. May 2010.
- "Assigning Digital Sophie Books in the Poetry Workshop." Association of Writers and Writing Programs Conference, Pedagogical Forum. Denver, CO. April 2010.
- "DoubleClick Meets Dickinson: Remediating Poetry." Yale University, The Past's Digital Presence Grad Student Symposium. New Haven, CT. February 2010.
- "Batteries Not Included: Programming Poetry." The University of Texas at Dallas, Research, Art, and Writing (RAW) Symposium. Richardson, TX. April 2009.
- "The Book Stops Here: Teaching 'Texts.'" The Ohio State University, Expanding Literacy Studies Grad Student Conference. Columbus, OH. April 2009.
- Creating a Digital Portfolio. Workshop presented to UWM Library Science students, March 2012.
- Digital Portfolios 101: Creating a Digital Portfolio with WordPress. Workshop sponsored by the Digital Arts and Culture (DAC) program, November 2011 at UWM.
- iMovie Basics Workshop. Presented to UWM English Department instructors on April 1, 2011.
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Dissertation Fellowship (UWM, 2013-14 academic year)
- HASTAC Scholar - Humanities, Arts, Science, & Technology Advanced Collaboratory (2012-2014)
- Digital Humanities Summer Institute (DHSI) Tuition Scholarship (University of Victoria, 2013)
- Frederick J. Hoffman Award for best graduate paper in English (UWM, 2012)
- James A. Sappenfield Fellowship (UWM, 2012)
- Chancellor's Graduate Student Award (UWM, 2010)
- Betty and Gifford Harris Travel Grant (UT-Dallas, 2009, 2010)
- Office of International Studies Grant (UNLV, 2007)
Teaching Assistant, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Instructor of record for:
- English 248: Literature and Contemporary Life (fall 2013)
Course subtitle: Information Overload
- English 215: Introduction to English Studies (online spring 2012)
- English 101: Introduction to College Writing (fall 2010, spring 2011, online fall 2011)
Teaching Assistant, University of Texas at Dallas
Instructor of record for:
- RHET 1302: Rhetoric (fall 2008, spring 2009, fall 2009)
Teaching assistant for:
- EMAC 2322: Introduction to Digital Communication, Prof. David Parry (spring 2010)
- EMAC 2321: Writing and Research for New Media, Prof. Dan Langendorf (spring 2010)
Adjunct Instructor, Pensacola Junior College (Pensacola, FL)
Instructor of record for:
- English 101: College Writing and Research (fall 2007)
Teaching Assistant, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Instructor of record for:
- English 101: Composition (fall 2004, spring 2005, fall 2005, spring 2006)
media theory and history, writing for new media, modern and contemporary poetry, creative writing workshops, digital poetics, composition and rhetoric
- Digital English Graduate Assistant: computer lab scheduling, department website maintenance, social media coordination, and technology workshop planning (2011 - 2012)
- Graduate Teaching Assistant Mentor (2009 - 2010)
- Rhetoric Program Textbook Selection Committee (2009)
- Rhetoric Program Website Update Committee (2009)
RedPrairie software solutions, May 2011 - September 2011
- Uploaded, marked-up, and created web navigation for technical documents on an Atlassian Confluence Wiki.
- Used Adobe Captivate to develop eCourse modules which will help trainees learn RedPrairie software programs.
- Edited training content for grammatical errors and instructional design flaws.
- Collaborated with fellow interns and team members to resolve problems uploading documentation to the Wiki and to standardize eCourse conventions.
Consultant (editor and technical writer)
Booz Allen Hamilton consulting firm, July 2006-May 2011
- Edited military training courses and technical manuals as part of the Pensacola, Florida Curriculum Development Team
- Maintained project style sheets to track acronym variations and other editorial decisions
- Wrote and updated technical documents
- Desktop publishing experience includes formatting course components using advanced features of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and ExamView test preparation software
- Society for Textual Scholarship (STS)
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- Modern Language Association (MLA)
- Electronic Literature Organization (ELO)